Medical Marijuana Dispensary Location Zoning
In November 2010, Arizona voters approved Proposition 203, which allows the cultivation, distribution, and use of marijuana for medicinal purposes. Cities and towns are permitted under state law to determine zoning for medical marijuana dispensaries and off-site cultivation facilities.
In February 2011, the Surprise City Council approved a text amendment to Ordinance 2011-05, which set the following parameters for where medical marijuana dispensaries and off-site cultivation facilities can operate within city limits.
Medical marijuana dispensaries and off-site cultivation facilities are restricted to the following areas within Surprise City Limits:
- Intermediate/C-2 commercial
- Heavy/C-3 commercial
Where, by law, medical marijuana patients are permitted to cultivate marijuana for personal medicinal use, city ordinance maintains such cultivation locations be:
- Enclosed, locked facility (closet, room or greenhouse)
- Under 50 square feet of cultivation space
**State law prohibits such personal cultivation if a qualifying patient lives within 25 miles of a medical marijuana dispensary.
Medical marijuana dispensaries and off-site cultivation facilities must:
- Be separated by at least 3,000 feet of each other.
- Be at least 1,500 feet away from schools, day cares and parks
- Be at least 500 feet away from residential zoned property and church/worship facilities
For more information please contact Development Services & Zoning at 623.222.3000.