Teen Leadership Academy
Surprise Police Department
The Surprise Police Department is proud to offer the Teen Leadership Academy to student’s ages 14-17, residing and attending school within the City of Surprise. Designed to increase the understanding of the Police Department’s operations, the Academy is conducted over a four week period encompassing four consecutive Saturdays. Students will learn from Department personnel who are experts in the areas of SAU, K-9, Narcotics, Crime Scene Investigation, Traffic Laws, Firearms, Defensive Tactics, Driving under the Influence, and other related fields. All students will participate in practical demonstrations and a Police ride-along during their Academy session.
The Academy is an educational opportunity designed to be a fun learning experience. Students will gain an overall knowledge of the Surprise Police Department through interaction and instruction with Officers, Supervisors, Detectives, Dispatchers, and other members of the Department. The goal of the Academy is to promote positive relationships between the Police Department and young adults within the community. Instructors encourage students to ask questions and express their concerns about pertinent issues throughout the Academy session.
The Academy includes:
- A wide variety of classroom instruction and interaction with staff
- Exciting and challenging hands-on training
- Live demonstrations
- Graduation ceremony with certificates awarded by the Chief of Police
- 14 to 17 years of age
- Currently attending high school, receiving passing grades in all classes, with no serious school discipline history.
- Must obtain a parent’s written consent to attend (completed Surprise Police Department waiver of liability available at time of application.)
- Have a good, positive attitude, and display good citizenship.
- Must attend ALL four sessions of the Academy in order to receive a graduation certificate.
Some of the covered topics include:
- Community Policing in Surprise
- 911 Communications
- Special Assignments Unit
- K-9 Operations
- Simulated Firearms training
- Traffic Law
- Crime Scene Investigation/Evidence gathering
- Police/media relations
Driving Under the Influence; drugs/alcohol
- The Surprise Police Department conducts two (2) seasonal Academy classes per year.
- Class size is limited to 30 applicants
- Upcoming class dates to be announced