one program at a time
Youth Employment Program
What is the Youth Employment Program and am I eligible?
YEP is a council-approved, nine to eleven-week summer job program for Surprise residents between the ages of 15 and 19 years old (by May 27th, 2014)
The program features professional development training while working in local community-minded business organizations.
Participants must be available to work 5 days a week, up to 30 hours per week, anywhere from nine to 11 weeks. The program will run during the applicants summer break. Chosen interns will earn $8.00 per hour.
- Must be a full time student
- Must reside in Surprise
- Must be legally authorized to work in the U.S.
- Must be available to work up to thirty (30) hours/week, anywhere from nine (9) to eleven (11) weeks
- Must have access to reliable transportation
- Family income must be at or below 80% of area median income
| Household Size
|80% Median Income
| 7 people
What you need to know:
- Participants will earn $8.00 per hour, paid for by the City of Surprise
- Program will start May 27th and end July 31st
- Weekly professional development training is provided
- Award Ceremony to follow program completion
How do I apply?
- Applications are available at City Hall and online.
- Fill out the application completely. Be sure your name matches the way it appears on your Social Security Card.
- Carefully list your areas of interest so that we may place you accordingly.
- You must submit letter of recommendation by school teacher, counselor, or other non-related adult.
APPLICATIONS WILL BE AVAILABLE ONLINE UNTIL MARCH 31st, 2014.
» Download the eligibility requirements & application instructions
» Download an application
When and where can I turn in my application and letter of recommendation?
Completed applications must be submitted or postmarked by March 31st, 2014 (by 5 p.m.). Applications are accepted by email, mail, or in person.
- Download an application & submit via email:
- Drop off at Surprise City Hall, Welcome Desk, 7:00 AM to 6:00 PM, Monday through Thursday.
- Mail to Jeff Martin, Community and Economic Development
Re: Youth Employment Program Application
16000 N. Civic Center Plaza
Surprise, AZ 85374-7470
Qualified applicants will be notified if they qualify and then will be screened through an interviewing process in April 2014. Final participants will be notified if they are selected for a position by May 1st and must pass a drug test (with parent consent form), and any other pre-employment screening the City deems necessary.